My name is Peteris Krumins and I love mathematics, physics, computer science and entrepreneurship! I run a cross-browser testing company called Browserling in the Bay Area. I'm a mentor and Hacker in Residence at Hackers & Founders and H/F Co-Op, world's largest startup network and a Silicon Valley startup incubator, and I'm an advisor at June, a company that reinvents recruiting. I'm a published author with No Starch Press and I've a degree in physics. I'm also a strong chess player 2000+ and I've over 15 years of programming experience in 7 companies.
There is an awesome reason why I didn't study computer science. By the time I graduated high school I already had several years of real-world experience working as a Perl and PHP developer, as a Linux sysadmin at an ISP, and as C and C++ programmer at an embedded systems company. I also did tons of contract work in just about any language you can imagine. I am a self-taught hacker. I learned everything on my own just by doing it, which gave me unique skills in computing. If I had chosen to study computer science, I'd have wasted so much time studying what I already knew. Instead I chose physics and now I am pretty good at it, too.
As of March 2010, I am working on my own startup together with James Halliday in the area of virtual machines and cloud computing. We're making virtual machines available on the web and fun to use. See the announcement post "I am doing a startup - StackVM." In October 2010 we both moved to Silicon Valley to get the startup going and in November 2010 we announced out first product that's built on top of StackVM and it's called Browserling. Browserling is interactive browser testing service that allows you to use all the browsers from your browser. The browsers run in virtual machines and are presented in your browser through StackVM technology. In February 2011 we incorporated Browserling Inc, and in March 2011 we raised our first seed round, which was lead by David Weekly. He interviewed us on the day we raised the round, listen to the interview on The David Weekly Podcast. Here is a picture of me and James Halliday with investment checks, agreement and David Weekly:
James Halliday, David Weekly, Peteris Krumins
My hobby is learning programming languages and watching video lectures. A few years ago I started the Free Science Online blog where I post all the free video lectures that I can find online. I also started Free Science Video website where I post various interesting science clips.
The goal of this website is to put all my knowledge and ideas out for everyone to read. I have so many ideas that it would be foolish not to write about them. I am currently putting out only a tiny fraction of everything that I know. Perhaps 1%. Be sure to subscribe to my blog to get the other 99% as I develop a better web platform for sharing my knowledge.
Here's a brief overview things I've done over the years:
In June of 2011 I also self-published my first book. It's called Awk One-Liners Explained and it's about short Awk programs for various text processing tasks, such as numbering lines, printing selective lines, merging and splitting lines, and many others. Really fun stuff and useful to know, too, since it makes you so much more productive when working with text files.
In September of 2011 I wrote my second book called Sed One-Liners Explained. It's similar to Awk One-Liners Explained and teaches sed, the superman of Unix stream editing, through 100 practical examples.
In 2012 I grew Browserling to 200 customers, and wrote my third book called Perl One-Liners Explained. It's similar to my previous two books and and it teaches Perl through 130 well-explained examples.
In 2015 I gave Browserling a new look, launched Browserling's Live API and Browserling's browser extensions, Browserling's Bug Hunter, joined June Inc as a technical advisor, became Hacker-in-Residence at Hackers & Founders, and kept writing articles that got over a million views.
Enjoy my posts and I hope to read your comments and feedback!
Peteris Krumins (Twitter: @pkrumins)
Page keywords: pkrumins, peter krummins, peter krumins, peteris krummins, peter krumin, peteris krumin, petris, krumnis.